Sunday, September 11, 2005

Fixator +5 weeks

After Lady's bandages were changed, we noticed that she wasn't using that leg as much anymore. The new bandages were very snug to the pins and her leg, so I just figured that there was some rubbing/irritation. I didn't want to disturb her leg, so I gave it a week. When there was no improvement - in fact, it got so bad she would just walk outside and sit down, I grabbed my scissors, cuticle nippers and tweezers, and started trimming the bandage back. I found one pin spot very swollen and another starting to get red. Nothing was oozy, so I took that as a good sign. However, I was paranoid that the fixator had stopped working and her leg was out of alignment again.

Tuesday after Labor Day, I called the VR&EC - they said to bring her in ASAP. So, Thursday, Sept. 8, we hauled her down there again. She was examined and x-rayed. Everything was still aligned, but at 5 weeks there was no sign of new bone growth. Dr. Palmisano said he wasn't surprised, since she is an adult dog and her leg has been through a lot of trauma. He said in 3 weeks they would check again and begin to de-stabilize the leg to stimulate healing.

In the meantime, I've been researching therapies to complement her course of treatment. I've consulted a canine acupuncturist/chinese herbalist and a homeopathic vet. I think the right choice is homeopathy, so I'll be taking her to see Dr. Jeff Feinman (homevet.com).

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment