Saturday, October 08, 2005

Nurse Peabody to the rescue

It's pouring rain, the dog is wet and smelly, and I have a 101 degree fever. Not really a great way to start the weekend. To top it all off, my husband is off to California for a mountain biking extravaganza.

But, this isn't about me, it's about the dog. Lady, as wet and smelly as she is, is healing. Her September 30 x-rays showed evidence of new bone growth!! Dr. Palmisano felt that it was too soon to start to destabilize - and I am so glad he did. Let's get this leg healed for good! Dr. Jeff said one more dose of the symphytum - that was last Sunday night, Oct 2. Lady will go back to Norwalk on October 26 for more x-rays. She will have had the fixator on for 11 weeks then and, with the change in diet and homeopathic treatment, I am praying that the leg is healed enough to start taking that thing off.

I am fortunate to have the resources to give Lady this kind of care. I realize not everyone does. I am also very fortunate to have the kind of career that gives me the kind of flexibility to haul the dog all over the place to doctors. So, as I sit here feverish and in severe head pain, I count my blessings.

When I was younger, we had a collie named Honey. When I was sick in bed, she would keep me company. My mom called her "Nurse Peabody." Lady is my Nurse Peabody today, sitting by my side and smothering me with kisses. I think it's helping to break my fever.

No comments:

Post a Comment