Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Strict instructions needed.

Lady doesn't get it - why is she restricted to an x-pen with an e-collar on 23 hours of the day? I try to tell her that it has SOMETHING to do with the 4 pins and contraption attached to her leg, but all she cares about is FOOD! BIRDS! RABBITS! FOOD!

Well, she's a dog, stupid! Based on previous experience and realistic advice from Dr. Palmisano, I asked him to provide me STRICT instructions for Lady's post-operative nursing care. Thankfully, he took my request seriously. Each time I think that she can go a little bit further, I snatch up that sheet of paper and re-read it. Here's an excerpt:

Lady does not understand the nature of her injury and may become very active in a short period of time compared to the same injury in a person. Therefore, restriction of activity is of paramount importance. When take out doors to...., Lady MUST be on a short leash and, when finished, return IMMEDIATELY indoors. The degree of confinement...must be continued for the entire convalescent period.

This is her last shot. It's confinement or lose the leg. I would like to have those instructions painted on the wall in Lady's recovery room. I would like to have them ironed-on to a t-shirt. I would like to hang them from Kelly's nose ring. Seriously, this is 8-12 weeks - I should start counting the times I read them.

It's easy for humans to get the wrong idea when our animal companions are energetic and playful, even with 4 pins holding their leg together. I can't let my guard down.

No comments:

Post a Comment