Monday, November 28, 2005

She's using the leg!!

Finally had a breakthrough the day before Thanksgiving. It had snowed the night before and, when I took Lady out for her morning walk, she USED THE LEG. Yes, that's right - she put the foot down and took actual STEPS!! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

It was a long weekend, so I worked with her each day, doing the massage, the weight-shifting exercises, the cork, and taking her around the block. She continued to use the leg.

Lady had a lovely Thanksgiving - I think Auntie P fed her turkey under the table.

On Friday, I walked Lady over to the golf course - to the flag of the 12th hole. On Saturday and Sunday, Freddie and I lifted her over the stone wall and had more walks around the golf course. After all this time, to see her use the leg is unbelievable.

With the good comes the bad. The movement of her leg in the cast has caused skin inflamation, breakage, oozing and bleeding just below her knee. I almost had a meltdown last night - instead I got pissed at Freddie when he said I was being irrational. Ok, the dog is bleeding, in obvious discomfort. I don't know if it is an emergency or not. I do know that we've been mucking around with this leg since April and I don't want anything to go wrong.

Before tossing her in the car and speeding to Norwalk, I took a mental step back and thought about conversations with Dr. Feinman and the homeopathy books I've been reading. In referencing the text, I found there were plenty of things I can do to treat her wound until I can get her to Norwalk tomorrow to have her leg rewrapped. Dr. Feinman told me today that I can use the Aloe and Calendula solution he had given me for Lady's ears.

I cleaned up the wound, put on some antibacterial ointment, and put Lady to bed. Today I will hot compress, massage in the aloe and calendula soluion, and put clean cotton pads on the wound as best I can.

Tomorrow it's back to Norwalk. I'm hoping we take some new x-rays and that they can put a shorter cast on Lady.

No doubt, more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment